Monday 1 September 2014

Ian was the Oval

O Borthmadog i mi
Footballers these days are often accused of being greedy, money orientated and arrogant, parents are accused of being pushy, but a footballer and his parents from Manchester seem to bucking the trend.
 Dilan Lomas from Manchester plays for Porthmadog FC, and his parents Ian and Anne follow him to almost every game.... Ian Lomas was kind enough to give up some of his precious travelling time to give me this interview after the TNS match.
“I imagine I acquired my football allegiance as most of us football fans did through my family and as my childhood was spent in Manchester it was never in question that I would follow Manchester City. I have been a season ticket holder for more years than I care to remember and to those of you who know the history of the current Premier League Champions it means I have also done the miles, worn the T-Shirt and been through thin and thin!
“Football has always been both my favourite participation and spectator sport and after my totally forgettable playing career ended I spent ten mostly happy years coaching junior football in the South   Manchester area where best mates Josh Stadnicki and my son Dilan were key members of the squad I was responsible for so I have had the pleasure of watching their progression over many years.
THE A55
“More recently this has involved making regular trips from Manchester down the M56, A55 and beyond to watch Porthmadog FC.  Whilst many may think that this journey would become a chore I assure you that is not the case, in fact far from it.  I can honestly say that we look forward to each and every trip, although the drive to Monmouth in the cup last season only for the fixture to be called off after a storm of biblical proportions ten minutes before kick-off left the pitch waterlogged was hard to take, especially as City were at home in the FA Cup that afternoon!
“Although visiting new grounds has been part of the enjoyment it is always feels good when the destination is Y Traeth.  The ground and officials of the club always offer a warm welcome to all and especially those following the opposition which is great to see.  I know my wife Anne and I always feel welcome and I am sure I can say the same for both Josh and Dilan.  
UNIVERSITY
Whilst the lads were at Bangor University the travelling was obviously less of an issue but having graduated and moved back to Manchester the travelling cost both financial and the time involved have increased massively but they were only ever going to sign for one Club and the fact they feel so welcome had a large part to play in that decision.  
PROMOTION?
Another major factor in their decision to re-sign was their hope to be part of the squad that gains promotion this season and judging by the early season form why not?  Whilst the season has only just got underway the standard of football played by Porthmadog has been decent.  I am by no means an expert on Welsh football but if the cup game against TNS can be used as a barometer of how Porthmadog would cope with the step up promotion would bring then I repeat, why not?  

So regardless of the miles, cost, time involved etc Anne and I will be enthusiastically looking forward to attending as many fixtures as possible in what we hope will be a successful season for the club.”

No comments:

Post a Comment